Avanti Communications is the leading Ka-band high throughput satellite capacity partner to the communications industry in EMEA – extending and guaranteeing coverage for defence missions, enterprise solutions and critical public services. Through the HYLAS satellite fleet and partners in 118 countries, Avanti provides dedicated fixed and flexible-beam satellite connectivity, with extensive coverage across Europe, the Middle East and Africa. Avanti has invested $1.2bn in a network that incorporates orbital slots in the Ka-band spectrum, satellites, ground stations, data centres and a fibre ring.
We are proud to be leading the way in connecting the unconnected as we continue with our journey of delivering on our unique point of view on the world to ‘Be More’. We believe everyone has the potential to achieve their ambitions and we are determined to continue in creating opportunities to support this.
Come and join Avanti and be part of the team that will make the difference leveraging our satellite technology that improves access to education, medicine and helps create a safe environment to live and work. Surely everyone deserves this.
The NOC Engineer plays a key role in supporting the continuous operations of Avanti’s global network infrastructure.
As a member of the of the NOC team you will be providing technical support on the safe operation and management of on a 24/7 basis.
This position will monitor the performance and capacity of Avanti Global network Infrastructure using a variety of tools, searching for hardware, software, and environmental alerts or malfunctions and determine the cause of the problem.
Key Accountabilities & Responsibilities
- Ensure maximum network & service availability through proactive maintenance/monitoring on a 24/7 shift rota
- Continuous analysis of Hub and Network infrastructure to identify service improvements to enhance customer experience
- Conduct service evaluation identifying and highlighting capacity and utilisation issues.
- To own all network and hub related incidents ensuring regular informative communication to the Teams and Partners.
- Ensuring incident tickets contain detailed technical information, providing clear unambiguous investigative and resolution details.
- To provide recommendations and feedback to further develop our monitoring capabilities as an aid to reduce MTTR
- Ensuring all Hub and Network infrastructure reference documentation and operating procedures are kept up-to-date. Provide continual feedback to core support teams (hub/network specialist group) to further enhance the service availability.
- Document processes and procedures to address common issues ensuring a knowledge database is developed and available for common use as well as to aid in improving fault resolution techniques.
- To ensure service infrastructure changes are reviewed rigorously and maintenances are properly scheduled and planned according to the Change and Incident Management Processes.
- Liaise with 3rd parties, NOC to NOC peering, and vendors to ensure all scheduled maintenances are documented, communicated and risks evaluated.
- Develop skill set and capabilities in line with the agreed training schedule.
- Achieve the Network and Hub industry certifications aligned with vendor certification tracks
Skills & Qualifications
- Commercial operational experience of the following vendors: Gilat, Newtec, iDirect, Hughes Network Systems; Juniper, Fortinet, Cisco
- An understanding of Satellite Communications, VSAT technology, and RF equipment
- Excellent understanding of the IP protocol stack and traffic/packet analysis tools
- Strong analytical, diagnostic and problem-solving skills
- Network Operations Centre experience within a Satellite Communications or ISP environment
- Knowledge of IP networking, Internet protocols and applications.
- Experience with vendor escalation and trouble ticketing management
- Previous experience with Windows system administration and use of the Office software suite
- Hands-on working experience with degree of competency in BGP, OSPF, MPLS, QoS, L2 switching, Firewall policies, CGNAT and IPSec.
- Excellent understanding of monitoring via SNMP
- An engineering/telecommunication degree or equivalent industry experience
- Familiarity with monitoring and graphing tools
- Understanding and ability to use a spectrum analyser tool
- Operational working experience with open source monitoring and graphing tools such as Nagios, Cacti/RRDtool, Shinken, Graphite and Grafana;
- Vendor/industry related accreditations; JNCIA or above preferred
- A Competitive Salary, pension scheme, and life assurance & private medical insurance
- A generous and highly achievable bonus scheme – paid annually based on individual and company performance against targets
- Along with 25 Days Annual Leave (excluding bank holidays) plus an Additional Day on us for your Birthday
- Buy or sell up to 3 holiday days per annum
- Free access to the Employee Assistance Programme
- Plus, a variety of excellent Employee Funded Benefits available to you
In addition to the above responsibilities, the jobholder is required to perform other reasonable duties as assigned by the line manager from time to time.
By applying for this position, you consent to your personal information being shared with our recruitment outsourcing partner. For further information please visit https://www.avanti.space/privacy-policy/