Avanti Communications is the leading Ka-band high throughput satellite capacity partner to the communications industry in EMEA – extending and guaranteeing coverage for defence missions, enterprise solutions and critical public services. Through the HYLAS satellite fleet and partners in 118 countries, Avanti provides dedicated fixed and flexible-beam satellite connectivity, with extensive coverage across Europe, the Middle East and Africa. Avanti has invested $1.2bn in a network that incorporates orbital slots in the Ka-band spectrum, satellites, ground stations, data centres and a fibre ring.
We are proud to be leading the way in connecting the unconnected as we continue with our journey of delivering on our unique point of view on the world to ‘Be More’. We believe everyone has the potential to achieve their ambitions and we are determined to continue in creating opportunities to support this.
Come and join Avanti and be part of the team that will make the difference leveraging our satellite technology that improves access to education, medicine and helps create a safe environment to live and work. Surely everyone deserves this.
As a member of our DevOps Engineering team, you will join a multi-disciplined community of engineers dedicated to building, evolving and operating systems subject to continuous development and release, whilst maintaining high availability of operational services. Our main office is in Central London with satellite facilities throughout the EMEA region
Key Accountabilities & Responsibilities
- Manage an international, multi-site production infrastructure powering Avanti services, including design, deployment, maintenance, troubleshooting, performance tuning, and security.
- Administer Infrastructure services and Operational Support Systems (OSS).
- Formalise designs, configurations, and procedures for system and storage administration.
- Respond rapidly to identify and resolve applications and infrastructure related faults.
- Work with software developers to ensure that development follows established processes and works as intended.
- Ensure that systems are safe and secure against cybersecurity threats.
- Understand the needs of stakeholders.
- Contribute to the design, scope, and implementation of new solutions for upcoming projects.
- Using intelligent monitoring, deliver visibility on all areas of the systems infrastructure including availability, utilisation, and inventory.
- Provide tools to support data driven decisions (Elastic Stack, Graphite, Grafana).
- Deliver highly available and reliable solutions (HAProxy, Keepalived).
- To drive and encourage innovation across the service infrastructure.
- Optimise existing tools and processes as part of our continuous service improvement program.
- Avanti operate 24×7 services and the role requires participation in the on-call rota to support out of office hours’ emergency support and routine maintenance.
- Service is delivered throughout the HYLAS fleet footprint and occasional international travel is required.
Skills & Qualifications
- Demonstrable experience managing, troubleshooting, and tuning Linux systems.
- Strong analytical, diagnostic, and problem-solving skills.
- Linux configuration, management, and administration (RHEL/CentOS/Ubuntu).
- Strong knowledge of scripting languages (bash, Python, Perl).
- Experience with Virtualization, Containerisation, and related provisioning tools (ESXi, vCenter, Docker).
- Understanding of agile software development, continuous deployment, and DevOps culture.
- CI/CD and Version control (Jenkins, GIT).
- A good understanding of TCP/IP networking.
- Understanding of the DNS protocol and architectures.
- Experience with modern database systems (MySQL, Elasticsearch, MongoDB).
- Excellent organisational and time management skills, and the ability to work on multiple projects at the same time.
- Linux accreditations.
- Network accreditations or equivalent experience.
- Experience of Puppet and Kubernetes
- Experience with AWS/S3
- Experience with distributed service monitoring (SNMP, Shinken/Nagios).
- Experience with Windows server stack, Active Directory and PowerShell scripting.
- Experience in automated test coverage, code quality checks (lint) & software metric generation.
- Working with Internet technologies such as Firewalls, Load Balancing, Proxies, and services clustering.
- Experience in Telecommunications or Satellite Industry.
- Understanding of large-scale web environments within a geographically distributed infrastructure.
- A Competitive Salary, pension scheme, and life assurance & private medical insurance
- A generous and highly achievable bonus scheme – paid annually based on individual and company performance against targets
- Along with 25 Days Annual Leave (excluding bank holidays) plus an Additional Day on us for your Birthday
- Buy or sell up to 3 holiday days per annum
- Free access to the Employee Assistance Programme
- Plus, a variety of excellent Employee Funded Benefits available to you
In addition to the above responsibilities, the jobholder is required to perform other reasonable duties as assigned by the line manager from time to time.
By applying for this position, you consent to your personal information being shared with our recruitment outsourcing partner. For further information please visit https://www.avanti.space/privacy-policy/