Avanti offers a suite of connectivity products via its fleet of high throughput satellites. Over the past 18 months, the company is focusing on market segments covering Telecom Carriers, Government (incl. Defence) and Industry. The connectivity products are evolving from best endeavour consumer broadband solutions to high performing customer specific enterprise solutions. Avanti Market success is dependent on continuous product innovation, high performance, easy to do business and competitive pricing.
The Head of DevOps – Applications Engineering will lead a team of agile Software/DevOps engineers and related functions, with a hands-on role in the development of innovative digital first application solutions. The function is expected to drive our cloud-first strategy; engineer innovative digital solutions, provide technical leadership for engineering processes and deliverables.
- Responsible for architecting, developing and delivering an innovative digital transformation program, including the operations of OSS/BSS platform running on hybrid-cloud infrastructure.
- Own and manage the demand management process to deliver business/customer demand in an agile manner.
- Implement and manage CI/CD build tools, automated testing systems, security analysis tools, and repository managers supporting rapid delivery of digital solutions
- Responsible for Service Monitoring and Service Availability, meeting demands of the business to support a multi-vendor environment and to deliver industry leading service management.
- Hire, onboard, motivate and retain high performing engineers ensuring proper management and career development. Provide feedback, address underperformance, and recognise strengths of team members
- Whilst adhering to accepted industry best practice and internal processes, continually educate, and challenge the organisation to adopt the latest and most effective software/Infrastructure development and delivery practices.
- Act as catalyst across all technology teams to start embedding principles of lean & agile engineering practices from software engineering
- Work with product owners and architects to ensure the delivery of accurate product build, and work with project managers to ensure schedules and controls for development teams are met.
- Appreciate and advocate for information security and secure coding practices.
- Identify and integrate SaaS products & current systems in pursuit of the new technology landscape.
- Assist evaluation and adoption of new technologies, identify opportunities to improve performance and proactively challenge system usage to maximise return on investment.
- Own your team’s deliverables and product quality. Ensure the continuation of shipping scalable, highly available, and world class products to customers.
- Implement and operate OSS2.0 built on cloud solutions
- Develop and own the DevOps roadmap ; Manage and optimize cloud infrastructure and services budget.
- Be a hands-on DevOps Team Manager who will spend up to 50% of their time in design reviews, sprint planning and other Agile artifacts. Some active coding and environment administration is a requirement for this role.
- Solution sets are tested, qualified, and documented in accordance with design control and quality standards, as well as applicable international standards.
- Timely delivery of high quality, secure software; ownership of Cloud and Application Security.
- Tangible business benefits through automation of business and operations processes
- Collaborate with engineering teams to collect and present appropriate metrics (i.e., SLA, SLI, and SLO) to implement the observability platform
- Application and infrastructure monitoring and incident response; Work with stakeholders to ensure production issues are resolved quickly
- Lead Release Engineering in the support of release packaging, release management, and patch deployment; making the process more efficient and less time-consuming.
- Instil a spirit of continuous improvement in the team’s code, architecture, and processes
Skills and Qualifications
- Engineering qualification with a minimum of 10 years of experience.
- Minimum 3 years of proven record in leading engineering teams including building high-performance and distributed teams; accomplishment in developing and growing people.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in Telco industry; architecting and managing highly available OSS/BSS systems on AWS or hybrid infrastructure
- Proven ability to architect, design, implement and operate highly available/highly scalable cloud-based and/or cloud-native solutions using Container and serverless technologies
- Knowledge and demonstratable experience with AWS services like API Gateway, EC2, S3, Lambda, ECS, SQS, Elastic beanstalk, Kinesis, SDLF, RDS – Aurora/DynamoDB, and AI tools;
- Hands-on experience with the design and implementation of pipelines for deploying, managing, and patch management.
- Solid understanding of multiple development and testing methodologies, with minimum 5+ years’ experience in Agile Delivery + DevOps
- Strong expertise with SaaS, SOA, microservices and other architecture paradigms and frameworks.
- Ability to work with product teams in defining tasks and creating roadmaps.
- We are looking for a passionate individual, results-driven, customer-centric, takes ownership and accountability with a can-do attitude.
- Demonstrable project management experience.
- Cloud certifications