We are Avanti – the leading Ka band high throughput satellite capacity partner to the communications industry across EMEA.
We are committed to helping the world become better connected and we are proud to leverage our satellite technology to protect communities and unlock opportunities for individuals, businesses and governments.
Our satellite technology changes lives every day and we strive to make a difference by improving access to education, medicine and creating a safe environment for people to live and work. This is all delivered by our brilliant people across Europe, Africa and America.
‘Be More’ is our unique point of view on the world. We believe everyone has the potential to achieve their ambitions and we are determined to create opportunities to support this. This belief extends to the workplace, where we promote a collaborative and well-balanced working environment.
We offer employee benefits, flexible working, rewards for performance and the opportunity to give back to local communities to empower our people to grow, develop and make a positive difference to millions of people around the world.
The Network Service Engineer supports the continuous operations of Avanti’s global network infrastructure and provides specialist expertise to the Network as well as internal and external customers and suppliers.
This role will report directly to the Ground Operations Engineering Manager but will be required to interface with all other teams across the Service NOC function in the course of their duties. Providing technical support on the safe operation and management of Service NOC as well as the global network infrastructure is paramount, but (where operational duties allow) providing support to the solution delivery activities and system development requirements will also be expected.
As such, this position will be the focal point in enabling the transformation of the network and advancement of the automation for the efficient delivery of service connectivity to customers. The Network Service Engineer will be providing support to the management team and will share knowledge and expertise for operational product development/improvement.
Key Responsibilities & Accountabilities
- Technical expertise in the management of ServiceNOC network operations
- Management of the Global network covering EMEA
- Network transformation to provide greater visibility, control, faster delivery of connectivity and increase operational efficiency
- Supporting in the development of network automation initiatives to reduce design to delivery effort
- Design and develop the network to provide Network-as-a-Service and integration of cloud connectivity to the Avanti network
- Opportunity to work with Mobile Operators in the integration of their mobile services using satellite technology and enabling ultra-rural connectivity in Africa
- Provide technical expertise in the design, scope and implementation of new network solutions for upcoming projects
- Supporting with the management of the Avanti satellite ground network connectivity that includes integration with other Teleport operators global network infrastructure
- Apply continual service improvement framework to develop network infrastructure to enhance customer experience
- Apply traffic engineering principles to improve network resiliency and efficient use of all data circuits
- Provide the technical leadership and support to less experienced team members
- Ensuring the network is available all the time and achieving high service availability provided to customers
- Efficient delivery of services to customers to the agreed delivery timeline.
- Deliver new network design/solutions for services to customers.
- NOC to NOC integration to ensure faster issue identification and resolution
Skills & Qualifications
- Demonstrable experience of Juniper and Fortinet solutions (MX routers, EX switches & SRX/Fotigate firewalls), including network design, configuration, and troubleshooting
- A minimum of five years working with the Juniper product range listed above; and 3 years on Fortinet products
- Demonstrable experience of ISP bandwidth and subscriber management products (DPI) – preferably Sandvine solutions.
- ISP/Telecom experience, preferably with hands-on working experience with MPLS, EVPN and QoS.
- Vendor/industry accreditations
- A computer science degree or equivalent accreditation
- Strong analytical, diagnostic and problem solving skills
- Should have an excellent degree of competency in these technical areas: Networking Protocols/Services: MPLS, BGP, OSPF, IPSec, GRE, CGNAT, QoS, EVPN, Multicast
- Demonstrable experience in the administration of network resources – ASN, IP Addressing, etc.
- Excellent traffic/packet analysis skills
- Working knowledge of Linux operational commands
- Project management experience in particular to the design and implementation of network infrastructure and solutions
- Familiarity with open source monitoring and graphing tools such as Nagios, Splunk, Cacti/RRDtool, Shinken & Graphite
- Python and Linux Shell Scripting experience
- Working experience in the use of network automation software and tools such as Ansible, Puppet, Git, etc.
- Working experience of SDN and NFV implementations
- An appreciation of the value of a DevOps approach
The company operates 24×7 services and this role is required to participate in the on-call rota to support out of office hours emergency support and routine maintenance.
In addition to the above responsibilities, the jobholder is required to perform other reasonable duties as assigned by the line manager from time to time.