Avanti Communications is the leading Ka-band high throughput satellite capacity partner to the communications industry in EMEA – extending and guaranteeing coverage for defence missions, enterprise solutions and critical public services. Through the HYLAS satellite fleet and partners in 118 countries, Avanti provides dedicated fixed and flexible-beam satellite connectivity, with extensive coverage across Europe, the Middle East and Africa. Avanti has invested $1.2bn in a network that incorporates orbital slots in the Ka-band spectrum, satellites, ground stations, data centres and a fibre ring.
We are proud to be leading the way in connecting the unconnected as we continue with our journey of delivering on our unique point of view on the world to ‘Be More’. We believe everyone has the potential to achieve their ambitions and we are determined to continue in creating opportunities to support this.
Come and join Avanti and be part of the team that will make the difference leveraging our satellite technology that improves access to education, medicine and helps create a safe environment to live and work. Surely everyone deserves this.
We are recruiting for the role of a full-stack Senior Software engineer who will mainly be responsible for refactoring Avanti’s commercial and technology operations platform. Key focus areas include the transformation of the current analytical and reporting platform to a cloud-native, horizontally scalable group of services. The ideal candidate for this job role must have the ability to work independently with little or no supervision.
As a senior engineer, you must have exceptional communication and leadership qualities as well as the ability to take quick decisions and solve problems. In addition to that, you must have proven experience in leading software engineers- both in-house and from reputable technology service vendors through partnerships.
This role can offer remote working with a need to make monthly office visits.
Key Accountabilities & Responsibilities
- Plan, design and develop technology operations applications focussing on utilisation analytics, capacity feasibility analysis, intelligent predictive reporting, automation, Service dashboards covering KPIs, SLAs and other key insights helping the business to achieve advanced network performance and enhanced customer experience
- Develop software solutions by studying information needs, conferring with users, studying systems flow, data usage, and work processes; investigating problem areas; and following the software development lifecycle.
- Keep up-to-date with state-of-the-art development tools, and programming techniques, participate in training opportunities
- Work with architects, providing design and architecture input for the VMAP and OSS platform and related applications in line with the company’s overall business strategy
- Ensure compliance to architecture policies, roadmap, rules, and principles
- Help accomplish engineering and organization missions
- Support and develop software engineers by mentoring, providing feedback and coaching
Skills & Qualifications
- Significant experience gained in a commercial environment building web applications (full stack) including:
- In-depth knowledge of popular Java frameworks like JSF and Spring MVC
- Experience with Object-Oriented Design (OOD)
- Front-end development using ReactJS
- Strong experience with relational databases like MySQL, PostgreSQL as well as NoSQL databases like MongoDB
- Expert-level knowledge of Java/J2EE platform as well as selected programming languages like Python and GoLang
- Experience with Continuous Integration e.g., Gradle, Maven, Jenkins
- Experience in AWS services like API Gateway, EC2, S3, Lambda, ECS, SQS, Elastic beanstalk, Kinesis, SDLF, RDS – Aurora/DynamoDB
- Proven experience in working in complex, multi-system integration projects
- Ability to design and implement highly available/highly scalable cloud-based and/or cloud-native solutions using Container and serverless technologies
- Able to translate a Hub Spoke Architecture into Functional Code
- Experience with REST APIs both as a consumer and producer
- Experience in using automated testing frameworks and system monitoring tools like New Relic/Datadog
- A Competitive Salary, pension scheme, and life assurance & private medical insurance
- A generous and highly achievable bonus scheme – paid annually based on individual and company performance against targets
- Along with 25 Days Annual Leave (excluding bank holidays) plus an Additional Day on us for your Birthday
- Buy or sell up to 3 holiday days per annum
- Free access to the Employee Assistance Programme
- Plus, a variety of excellent Employee Funded Benefits available to you
In addition to the above responsibilities, the jobholder is required to perform other reasonable duties as assigned by the line manager from time to time.
By applying for this position, you consent to your personal information being shared with our recruitment outsourcing partner. For further information please visit https://www.avanti.space/privacy-policy/